The Number 1 song this week is Rodney Atkins’ “Take a Back Road.” This is a very traditional country song about a typical country topic. Rodney has had three previous Number 1 songs and is a fairly established artist. Number 2 is “You and Tequila” by Kenny Chesney with Grace Potter. This song was originally recorded by Deanna Carter but never released as a single. Other songs in the Top 10 include songs from Toby Keith, George Strait , Keith Urban, and Blake Shelton, all big stars. However, there is also the song “Crazy Girl” by the Eli Young Band, really a new band nationally following great regional success in Texas .
Once again, the variety of the format is what makes us different. Our big stars continue to turn out great songs, but there is also plenty of room for the new ones. We don’t have a lot of “One-Hit Wonders,” although we do have a few each year, usually because the songs themselves are undeniably great. Here are some songs from new artists to watch over the next few weeks. And of course, you can always hear the newest songs every Tuesday at noon with our On-Air Music Meeting at 95.3 KRTY.
- Craig Campbell, “Fish”: a very interesting take on rhyming the word “fish”
- Brantley Gilbert, “Country Must Be Country Wide”: Brantley wrote “Dirt Road Anthem” and “Crazy Town,” both huge hits for Jason Aldean. This is his first solo single.
- Thompson Square, “I Got You”: no, this isn’t the Sonny & Cher version!
- The Band Perry, “All Your Life”: this has a little mid-song Beatles groove
- Luke Bryan, “I Don’t Want This Night To End”: another turn-it-up-loud song from our next big star
- Eric Church, “Drink In My Hand”: his most commercial single to date
Check them out, and you can get a feel for the variety in our format. Next week, we’ll look at why the country concert season is doing so great.
Nate Deaton KRTY, San Jose